Constipation, skin … Mines of nutritional benefits, flax seeds are on the rise. How to consume them? Land? Total? What to do with the oil? How to keep them? Freddo ? What health drawbacks should you be aware of? Explanation.
Definition: what is flax seed?
These small seeds to the small nutty flavor popular are made of linen (Linum usitatissimum)a plant herbaceous cultivated for millennia and probably originally from asia. Particularly rich in alpha-linolenic acid, i.e. omega-3, flax seeds are known for effectively fight constipation. Flax seeds also help lower cholesterol and to combat stomach ailments when crushed and then left for half an hour in water.
What is the nutritional composition of flax seeds?
They are wells of polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particularOmega 3. These have a reputation for lowering bad cholesterol (LDL cholesterol) so they have a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular system. Without forgetting that they are essential for the synthesis of EPA and DHA fatty acids which the heart and nervous system need to function properly.
|LINSEEDS: CONTENT PER 100 G
|– with sugar
|– of which cholesterol
|– of which saturated
|– of which monounsaturated fatty acids
|– of which polyunsaturated fatty acids
How many calories do flax seeds have?
506 Cal / 100 g counter-represented essentially by lipids. Even though they are made up of good fats, they are therefore lipid nuggets to be consumed in moderation.
What are the health benefits of flax seeds?
- Particularly rich in fiber, flax seed promote intestinal transit. They fight effectively against constipation without irritating the intestinal mucosa. Recipe for constipation : Put a teaspoon of flax seeds in a glass of water. Leave to stand overnight and drink in the morning upon awakening.
- They are also distinguished by a interesting vegetable protein content (24%), a good iron capital and minerals (calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus).
- They do not contain gluten free. This is a real plus for intolerant people!
- They protect your system cardiovascular. . The soluble fiber in flaxseed can lower blood cholesterol levels.
- Some would have warned cancer (including that of the breast) thanks to their powerful antioxidants, the lignans. Flax seeds are one of the vegetable sources richer in lignans, providing up to 800 times more lignans than most other foods. Lignans are phytoestrogens, which help protect against certain cancers, including breast and colon cancers, blocking the formation of tumors.
- They would also reduce the hot flashes according to a 2007 study *.
- Furthermore, their richness in antioxidants is a real hindrance premature aging leather.
- They also have a soothing effect on the skin in case of redness. Recipe for irritated skin: Pour the water over the flax flour, mix until you get a smooth paste. Allow to cool and apply to a 1 cm thick compress as a compress up to three times a day.
- Flax seeds are gluten free.
Flax seeds are not eaten cooked because they do not tolerate heat well.
In what forms to consume flax seeds?
Linen is available in whole seeds, in oil or ground flax seeds with or without envelope. The residual product, after the extraction of the oil, is called “flaxseed flour” and is sold in food markets.
What is linseed oil?
Linseed oil is obtained by cold pressing of the seeds to extract the oil. The oil is sold in brown bottles to ensure its quality. It is important to use the oil before its expiration date and once the bottle is opened it should be refrigerated and used as recommended by the manufacturer, usually within 6 weeks.
A heaped spoon a day enough to cover the daily omega-3 requirement. However, do not lose sight of the fact that this consumption must also be accompanied by a reduction in the consumption of foods rich in omega-6. To better assimilate their benefits, consume them in ground or crushed form and store the grounds in an airtight container in the refrigerator to protect the fatty acids from oxidation. Stay in sprinkle your salads oa integrate into your dairy products or preparations. The pre-soaking (8 hours at least) it also helps to better assimilate their minerals. Flax seeds are not eaten cooked because they do not tolerate heat well.
- Consume flax seeds in whole grain bread or add them to breakfast cereals
- Consume whole flax seeds as an aperitif or in dishes.
- Consume ground flax seeds and integrate them into desserts such as crumble. They can also replace an egg when mixed with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Flax seeds can be stored whole for a year in an airtight container at room temperature.
- If they are ground, it is best to eat them directly or store them in the refrigerator.
- If they are soaked, storage should not exceed 3 days in the refrigerator.
Should you choose brown or golden flax seeds?
Brown or golden flaxseed is a matter of taste – there is no real difference in terms of nutritional benefits. But preferably choose them from organic farming. You can easily find them in organic and organic food stores, or even in supermarkets.
What are the dangers of flax seeds?
Beyond a spoon, they are laxatives. To be avoided in case of diverticulitis of the colonin people who have undergone a digestive stoma or in case of intestinal obstruction.
Linseed oil : If you want to use linseed oil, know that it should only be used as a condiment, do not heat it and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. Flaxseed oil is not recommended for children under the age of 3.
*Pilot evaluation of flaxseed for the management of hot flashes. Pruthi S, Thompson SL, et al. J Soc Integr Oncol. Summer 2007; 5 (3): 106-12.